Robin Houston wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 02:24:08PM +0100, Philip Newton wrote:
> > Michael Stevens wrote:
> > > You could give out urls with the usernames and passwords in?
> >
> > Were you thinking of
> > http://username:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/pics/drunkenperlmongers.jpg
> > ? No such thing; RTFRFC for more info.
>
> There may well be no such thing, but since it works in just about
> every user agent, including LWP, that's a pretty bad argument against
> using it here in the Real World.

Hm. You're right; it works at least with MSIE and NS on Win32, also with
LWP. I had only tried it out on one site with Lynx (2.8.3rel1) and got a
"400 Bad Request: Your browser sent a request that this server could not
understand. Client sent malformed Host header", so I suppose Lynx sent
"username:[EMAIL PROTECTED]".

> It's a pretty obvious and compatible extension the the standard...

I'll give you that.

Cheers,
Philip