On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, you wrote:
> David Cantrell [[EMAIL PROTECTED]] quoth:
> *>I've been approached to do some paid tech-reviewing, of a manual for a
> *>Linux security product.  I have *no* idea how I should charge for this,
> *>or indeed how much.  Does one usually do it per thousand words or
> *>something?
>
> AW usually offers an honoraria of several hundred dollars for principal
> reviewers of their books which, depending on the book, could be nothing in
> exchange for your time if you do a lot of fact checking, etc. So,
> depending on the publisher, it is mostly a labour of love and not
> something you charge by the word.
>
> *>It's basically making sure that it reads OK when translated into English
> *>by the German authors, and requires no knowledge of the product itself,
> *>but does - obviously - require some familiarity with the subject.
>
> Think of it as adding to the pool of quality publications and see what
> they are willing to offer. It really depends on the publisher.

umm .. strikes me this is not so much about a book publisher as a
software vendor wanting to get their documentation sorted out.  They'll
expect to pay normal consultant rates I would imagine as they are in the
software business not the book business. The security market is lucrative
so I doubt they are on their last pennies, but they aren;t expecting you
to write the stuff.  Ii'd go for a 'low contract rate' sort of figure. I
have no knowledge to base this on, just my gut feeling.

I know in the publishing world people do things for ludicrously samll
amounts, but thats because you can usually find a starving author that
will do it for pennies, but if you assume that they need to know at least
a little about the Linux security model then that kinda narrows it down a
bit dunnit.

--
Robin Szemeti

The box said "requires windows 95 or better"
So I installed Linux!