An entity claiming to be David Cantrell ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
:
: What I'm really hating is the stuff that broke when I upgraded from 6.2.
: Mainly X font stuff, and I rally can't be bothered to dig through the
: gazillion different places that X puts stuff so I can fix it.  I'm still
: toying with the idea of switching to Debian.  I run Debian on a couple of
: my boxes, but I'm not as comfortable with it as I am with Deadrat, and
: I know that it'll be a lot of work to switch the machine from one
: distro to another without losing anything important.
:

I have recently gone from RH to Debian, and I'm wondering why I didn't
sooner.  RedHat has a glittery Solaris-esque install, but vanilla installs
need too much work (another similarity with Solaris who made half of
/usr/bin friggin' setuid root).  RedHat also irritated me greatly with the
changes in RPM and their neglect of the SPARC disributions, so I decided to
play with Debian (which has a philosophy closer to mine).  I can tell you
already that dselect is a wonderful utility, and dpkg appears to be better
than rpm (at least for my purposes).  If you do move, keep in mind that
unstable means unstable.

Mark
... and Debian even does the SysV boot sequence, now.

--
[]                   | "Girls in occupied countries always
[] Mark Rogaski      | get into trouble with soldiers," she

PGP signature