At 22 Mar 2001 09:02:31 +0000, Dave Hodgkinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Dave Cross <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > > Eeeeeugh.  perl -d:ptkdb please.
> >
> > Yeah. Now use that when you only have telnet access to your
> > development system :-/
>
> Not even ssh?

Not sure they can even spell 'ssh' here :)

Let me explain the set-up. I have a PC running Win95. I access a number
of IBM AIX machines using putty. When I first joined, I asked about the
possibility of getting Exceed installed, but was told that having an
X server on a PC would generate too much network traffic.

All external internet requests from the PCs go thru a bastard fascist
filtering proxy. Only HTTP and email gets out as far as I can see.

The firewall around the AIX boxes is even worse. Nothing gets thru
unless you've asked the network people to put a specific hole in the
firewall. Oh, and there's no external DNS on these boxes so you can only
access stuff if you know the IP address.

Grrr....

Dave...