On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 03:30:54PM -0800, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 01:44:49PM +0200, Philip Newton wrote:
> > Still not enough. It'll work for the Americans (yet again...)[1] but if you
> > have a phone number whose country codes identifies it as being in country X,
> > and you are in country X on a business trip and want to call that person,
> > leaving off the country code is, in general, not enough. In Germany and
> > England, you have to add a 0 (e.g. +49-40-76470386 turns into (040)
> > 76470386), but in other places, that might be a 9 -- or something else. If
> > you're not familiar with the country, you may not know what to add.
>
> I'm assuming the user is intelligent enough to read a phone book or ask
> at the reception desk and learn how to make a national phone call...

Indeed everyone knows that the + sign means "insert local international
access code here" and people who don't know that should be shot.  Although
a nice feature of GSM phones is that you can dial +442087712924 and get
through to me from anywhere.  And despite dialling an international number,
you'll only be billed for a normal call in the UK cos it won't get routed
through the international switches.  Likewise if you dial a +49 number in
Germany, for example.

--
David Cantrell | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david/

    This is a signature.  There are many like it but this one is mine.

** I read encrypted mail first, so encrypt if your message is important **

PGP signature