On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 10:04:45AM +0100, Dominic Mitchell wrote:
> Funnily, enough, no.  I was born in 1974, I've never been taught english
> grammar and I know of nobody who has.  It's actually quite annoying as

Me too, ('74 vintage) but I got learnt grammar. I think mostly by my
mother if truth be told. The rest I picked up from Latin :-/

If you know the difference between it's and its, you're and your,
and don't write 'alot', you're probably in the top 1%-ile :)

> it leads to all sorts of infuriating "I know that looks right, but I
> don't know why..." thoughts.  If anybody could reccomend a small grammar
> reference, that would be incredibly useful.

http://ei.cs.vt.edu/~cs5014/fall.95/courseNotes/WebPages/5.TechnicalCommunication/tc_2_Usage.html

Zillions on google.

> OTOH, every foreign language I've ever learned has started with the
> grammar lesson within a month.

http://www.engrish.com/

Paul