On 25/05/2001 at 15:40 +0100, will wrote:

>> The massive British export meat market was worth... 300 million UKP
>> last year. Tourism makes billions.
>>
>> The British rural economy could survive with no exported meat.
>
>So a program of vaccination and slaughter to erradicate the disease will
>firstly benefit the tourist industry and then also the meat market.  Not
>that I am a big fan of farmers or the countryside alliance types (and that
>is being generous) but I think it would be the best solution all
>round.  Ooo
>ar.

No, because the sheer amount of fuss made over F&M clobbered the
tourist industry- possibly for years, although this is admittely
anecdotal and predictive- whereas if we'd quietly vaccinated, accepted
no meat exports for a year, and then let the farming industry get back
on its feet, we'd not have had to kill *three million* animals, and
poison water, and close footpaths, and the tourist industry wouldn't
have suffered the way it has over the last couple of months. So, why
insist on the 'slaughter' bit?

--
:: paul
:: stay all day