On 21/06/2001 at 10:38 +0100, Simon Wistow wrote:

>It was quite full, mostly of different brays[0] of although we had no
>problem finding a table for 4 and later a sofa for 6 since people only
>seemed to stay for one pint. This is a moot point though because the
>manager promised to reserve seating but I thought I'd mention it.

Quite full at first- I think it's a standard Central London pattern of
business, ie busy from about 6 to 8, but fairly empty afterwards. There
was a nice concealed corner near the cigarette machine- with sofas,
near the bar- that would be an ideal place for about 10-15 mongers to
stake out; overspill could muddle around in a biggish space near those
chairs.

>$housemate said that beer was quite expensive (3.80 for a Hoegaarden)
>although I don't remember it being that expensive the first time I went
>there. A 4 pint jug of Heineken Export was 10 quid.

There seemed to be a board saying there was food, but I didn't try any.
The second jug was Carlsberg Export, as I think the bad barmaid struck
again.

Now, where was Greg's scoring chart?

Good Beer?               Has Hoegaarden, but is expensive-
                         no real ale buffs at testing            0.5
Nice surroundings        On the river. Beer garden. Nuff said.   1
Bar food?                Think so, yep. Not tested, though.      0.5
Lots of seating?         Quite a lot- but it helps if it's sunny 0.5

Quiet                    Except for nutters who still care about 1
                         the IMF interventions in 1977, yep
Central to ``business''  Not on the Central line. Near a few bus
London?                  routes and ~5 mins walk from both Southwark
                         and Blackfriars                         0

Greg said:
>with this scale,
>Penderels scores ................ 0,0,1,1,0.5,1 = 3.5
>Anchor scores ................... 1,1,0,1,0.5,0 = 3.5

I'd say:

 Doggett's ....................... 0.5,1,0.5,0.5,1,0 = 3.5

>Paul Mison prefered to sit inside. There was space outside over looking
>the river but he felt it would be too sunny and then the beer terrace
>round the back would be more amenable to most mongers. There's a lovely
>view across the river though.

The beer garden doesn't have as nice a view, but it is in the shade,
and you don't get tourists wandering around while you're leaning on the
embankment wall.

>The gate by the pub which leads down to the shore is unlocked. We walked
>down the beach for a few hundred meters and popped up by the Stanhope
>Arms next to the Tate Modern. The view along the river was fantastic.

You can walk all the way from Hungerford Bridge to London Bridge at low
tide, and at the moment it's a spring tide (solstice [0], new moon (and
total eclipse in southern Africa) and it's at a nice time in the
evening for the next day or two.

[0] Although I don't think this affects the tides

--
:: paul
:: what are the military applications?