On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 12:23:04PM +0100, Cross David - dcross wrote:

> It was mentioned to me last night that some people have been less than
> impressed when turning up for their first social meeting.
>
> It seems that we can appear a bit unwelcoming at times. People have turned
> up, sat in the corner for a while and then left because no-one spoke to
> them.

I attended my first london.pm meeting on Thursday, which was a technical
meeting rather than a social meeting.  I didn't find anyone at all
unwelcoming - even though I arrived quite late half way through one of
the presentations.

I didn't know anyone there, but I found myself talking to a few people.
Sure, I had to make the effort to speak to people, but everyone I talked
to seemed approachable enough.

> Now, I realise that there is a tightly-knit core of members that have become
> good friends over the last couple of years and that is, of course, a good
> thing.

Yes, there clearly is a core group of members who get on very well with
each other.  I didn't find this a problem.

I think the current format works well.  Any attempt to focus on
welcoming newcomers could become discomforting as others have already
mentioned.

I hope this doesn't go to anyone's head - I just wanted to mention that
I feel cliqueiness isn't a serious issue.

The main surprise was that you didn't seem to go on about Buffy much.
At least, not compared to my girlfriend who is obsessed.

Tom