On Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 08:15:09AM +0200, Newton, Philip wrote:
> Matthew Byng-Maddick wrote:
> > Most people can be bothered to make sure that their zones
> > are RFC compliant. Most people who can't are spammers. (Note
> > that I said most).
>
> That reminds me of a question I had.
>
> Can someone tell me who should be responsible for generating a Message-ID
> header in email? Specifically,

answers based on re-reading the message below

> * should the MUA generate the header when it sends the message to an SMTP
> server?

not sure. (I believe that the it's preferable that someone out of the MUA and
the first MTA to do it, but I'm not sure which is best)

>   * if it does, should/may the server overwrite that header with
>     its own message ID?

believe no

>   * if it doesn't, should the server generate a Message-ID header
>     of its own?

I read it as it "may" if it's not a relay

> * must an RFC-2?822-compliant message contain a Message-ID header?

don't know

> Then I got a complaint about a message of mine not having a Message-ID
> header, and I found that my client apparently does not generate such a

This may not directly have been what you were mentioning (or it may
have been exactly the case you were mentioning), but I actually asked Ask
about why I'd ended up with a message you'd sent to 2 perl mailing lists
ending up in my inbox twice with two different message IDs assigned to it
by the local MTA. Strangely enough, my de-duping filter uses message IDs,
and it thought these were 2 messages :-)

> previously most-often-used SMTP server did). When I talked to the chap
> running the service, he seemed to think it's the client's responsibility; I
> can think it would be a good idea if the server added necessary headers that
> are missing (I've seen that done with 'Date:', for example, when I telnet
> directly to port 25 and only supply From: To: Subject:).
>
> What would you say?

Message I sent to Ask, which I didn't act any further on:

| On Sun, Aug 12, 2001 at 03:20:13PM -0700, Ask Bjoern Hansen wrote:
| > On Sun, 12 Aug 2001, Nicholas Clark wrote:
| >
| > I think that you are right; I don't think qmail adds the Message-Id
| > if it's not there.
| >
| > Where does the RFC say that you must do that?
|
| Bluurg. I'm wrong. It doesn't say "must", it says "may":
|
|    The following changes to a message being processed MAY be applied
|    when necessary by an originating SMTP server, or one used as the
|    target of SMTP as an initial posting protocol:
|
|    -  Addition of a message-id field when none appears
|
|    -  Addition of a date, time or time zone when none appears
|
|    -  Correction of addresses to proper FQDN format
|
|    The less information the server has about the client, the less likely
|    these changes are to be correct and the more caution and conservatism
|    should be applied when considering whether or not to perform fixes
|    and how.  These changes MUST NOT be applied by an SMTP server that
|    provides an intermediate relay function.
|
| (that's 2821)
| And I'm not sure if a mailing list is "an intermediate relay function".
|
| It seems that I should be asking Philip Newton (and Tels) to rejig their
| mail clients to generate Message-Id headers, rather than wonder why the list
| isn't adding them.

Nicholas Clark