On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, robin szemeti wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 October 2001 16:15, Lucy McWilliam wrote:

> > Hmm, this is where admit I'm crap and provide the CFT club with something
> > to ponder.  I have made pairwise comparisons of a few thousand flies
> > and stored the similarity scores in a *large* file in a particular order
> > (to save me storing their names and making the file even bigger).
>
> I'd like to make 2 points ...
> 1) all flies look the same ..
> 2) "storing their names"? .. you give your flies names? ... how cute :)

*shhhhhh*  Don't let the flies hear you say that.  Anyway, when you've got
thousands of the little beggar flying around you need some form of
identification.

> I say "CREATE TABLE flies ( id_a INT(6), id_b INT(6), score FLOAT(4,3) )"
> "SELECT  something FROM flies WHERE ...."
>
> let Oracle/MySQL/Postgres do the speed/memory worrying for you. It sounds
> like you're going to want to get at this data in various ways, just stick it
> in a table and forget about it.

Hmm, that means thinking, and this is only a very preliminary
proof-of-concept analysis.  But thanks for the advice ;-)

L.
"It appears to be paranormal in origin."
"How can you tell?"
"Well, it' so shiny."