On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 12:22:29AM +0000, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 04:01:42PM -0800, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> > Are there any utilities or tricks or suggestions for porting over the
> > old .config to the new? If I just copy it (/usr/src/linux-old/.config)
> > over will it be intelligent with it? I would rather not re-tweak this
> > kernel from the ground up if I can help it...
>
> I believe what you want to do is
>
> 1: copy over the old config (still as .config)
> 2: make oldconfig
>    and you will get prompted only with questions for the new options

Ah ha, thanks!

As it turns out, I copied .config in as .config-2.4.9 and then ran make
menuconfig. It picked it up somehow and integrated the data, as verified
by poking about some random menus. Afterwards, I diffed the two and it
looked plausibly correct. Everything Just Worked(tm) and now I have a
running kernel. Amazing.

Paul