On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 10:33:42PM +0000, the hatter said:
> jaguar and missile command, and today I bought a second jaguar (for 10ukp,
> rather than 8ukp for just a second controller, which I wanted) and a
> couple more games.  R.I.P Atari, I will think of you every time I look
> towards sunnydale.

I bought one from EB a few weeks ago for that price along with a second
controller, Attack of the Mutant Penguins, Bubsy and Val D'Isere Ski and
Snowboarding. There are a few other games I plan to pick up just for
completeness and nostalgia's sake.

I've also just read, in quick succession, Insanely Great and Zap! The
Rise and Fall of Atari. Apart from the fact that Zap! is far worse
written and hasn't been updated for 16 years and doesn't have Levy's
occasional, err, fawning for want of a better word the history of the
two companies seems to be quite similar in much the same way as the
childhood of any two SAS autobiographers seems to be hauntingly
familiar - they both mention brainstorming in hot tubs and weekend team
breaks to Californian costal hotels replete with bad behaviour and
drunkeness. Nolan Bushell even turned down the chance to build the Apple
II.

Atari seemed to have a knack for continually snatching defeat from the
jaws of victory - the ST could have killed the competition but a series
of blunders (including the whole Amiga Inc. [0] debacle) meant it just
ended up dying - although I noticed that Notting Hill Music Exchange is
selling a 520 STFM for more than I bought mine for originally. The
Jaguar was woefully under marketed and the Lynx, whilst brilliant, just
didn't have the games or the battery life of the Gameboy.

I blame the Tramiel twins although, have read Zap! there does seem to
have been this rot festering ever since the Warner takeover.

Bah, insomnia sucks.

Simon

[0] Depending on who you ask - Atari commisioned Amiga Inc. to build
some new graphics chips for the ST but ended up falling out (legend has
it over 20,000 USD) at which point Commodore bought the smaller company
and produced the Amiga which, if I'm trolling, was little more than a
poorly reverse engineered ST with these new chips and a different OS.
And a foot warmer.

:)