On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 03:16:59PM +0100, Newton, Philip wrote:
> Chris Benson wrote:
> > The disk on mine has started to whine: I'm not sure iBooks
> > were designed for Linux style up-times in the months ...
>
> I was under the impression that disks in general were designed to be
> powered-on always (and that spinning them down when not in use may conserve
> energy but will wear out the disk faster).

yeah, but there's not much airflow in an iBook: the disk is under the
LHS of the keyboard, next to the Airport card: ventilation slots (near
the screen hinge are 10cm away -- I wonder whether it has overheated.
I had an (undocumented) 88 day uptime before I wanted to try a new kernel
:-)

None of the linux/PPC kernels seem to support powering down disks.

--
Chris Benson