[ should probably not be OT for london.pm, but ... ]

I have just had a call from a guy representing the company "Free Phone
Upgrade", who are in the "business" of arranging upgrades for your mobile
phone (presumably, for "free"). He asked a few basic questions, such as was
I over 18 and did I have a credit/debit card, before I got a chance to ask
him to explain how he had come by my number (no, I didn't give him my card
details). He said that he got the number from a "national register of
One2One phone numbers". Kind of interesting, as I haven't been with
None2None for over 6 months. After I explained the inaccuracy of his list of
numbers, he agreed to remove my number from the list and ended the
conversation. He seemed quite put out and confused by the fact that I was
not a None2None customer.

Has anyone else heard of this group?

Anyone had a similar call from them?

If this guys story is true, then it appears that None2None are either giving
or, more likely, selling copies of their numbers to mass marketing groups
(hopefully, without names, etc attached, but unlikely). Is this legal/common
practise in the industry?

When I first moved from None2None (taking my number with me), it

    a) took them ages (2+ months) to get the transfer right
    b) took them a further 4 months and 2+ calls to get my number removed
from their own
          spam lists.

Is this a violation of the Data Protection Act?

Am I the only one who gets p*ssed off at the incompetence of
corporations/individuals?

Any thoughts/comments before I crawl back into my whole?

Ian