[crossposted; watch those reply-to's]

Ranga Nathan wrote:
> Is my expectation wrong?

Yes. Note that the plain digest is different:

> digest is = o?AO?Co6}UoP@
> digest is = A?</?e_rYoC!,,j8

It's only the following two which are the same. The reason is most possibly
this bit (from the Digest::MD5 docs):

    Note that the `digest' operation is effectively a destructive,
    read-once operation. Once it has been performed, the `Digest::MD5'
    object is automatically `reset' and can be used to calculate another
    digest value.

So only ->digest gave you the digest of your data; the following ->hexdigest
and ->b64digest gave you the digest of (I presume) the empty string -- which
is, of course, always the same.

Cheers,
Philip
--
Philip Newton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
All opinions are my own, not my employer's.