hello... i'm helping run this teaching workshop on saturday with the
genderchangers, a grassroots women-in-technology teaching and support
network. the workshop will have an installfest type vibe, will be
informal, runs all day. i'm afraid this one is girls-only though there
will be mixed ones later on. it would be good to see some of the
burgeoning female subset of perlmongers there. directions/infos below... xz

genderchanging at limehouse, 25th may 2002, 11am-6pm

*       *       *       *       *       *

the london genderchangers are a local offshoot of the amsterdam-based
Gender Changer Academy (http://www.genderchangers.org)

on 25th May, 2002, we're holding a workshop in the space at the top of
limehouse town hall (directions below). we have a prodigious pile
of salvaged hardware, a consume connection, and our own hearts and minds

order of the day? technology demystification by and for women; the ethos
of skip-diving, free hardware and free software; breaking and fixing
things to find out how they work. hardcore unix hackers to total clueless
newbies, all are welcome; come along, chill out, teach and learn, bring
your own broken hardware and/or screwdriver.

the genderchanging workshop at limehouse is *girls-only*; we'll also be
using the time to plan a totally open workshop at the free school running
in southwark during june.

http://london.genderchangers.org

*       *       *       *       *       *

time: 11am - 6pm, Saturday 25th May 2002

place: Limehouse Town Hall, 646 Commercial Road E14 7HA.

appearance: great big 1870s civic building

tel: 020 79870655

directions from central/east london:

Get onto Commercial Road and travel East from Aldgate or Whitechapel.
Keep going until you pass Limehouse DLR on your right (you go under the
DLR train bridge) and you'll see a modern red brick church also on the
right, then a pair of ESSO stations on either side of the street, then
the library with a statue of Clement Atlee in front of it, then you'll
see the Town Hall, with the Limehouse Hawksmoor church behind it. At
this point you should get off the bus/out of the car and come ring on
the "Boxing Club" bell.

tube: Limehouse DLR from Bank or Tower Gateway.

Buses:
  15 from Trafalgar Sq
  115 from Aldgate
  D6 from Hackney
  D3 from Bethnal Green

--
"Common sense won't tell you. We have to tell each other." -DNA