On Wed, 29 May 2002, Rafiq Ismail (ADMIN) wrote:

> I'm already using StatINC so I'm going to have to do a toss between
> code which I've already written and converging to the Apache::Dispatch
> interface.

Not on a production site I hope !

StatInc does *lot's and lot's* of system calls at every request which will
slow down your server considerably.

Apache::Reload is better in that you can test less frequently but is still
not a good thing on a production site.

> I'm not so keen on loading all the inheriting classes into memory
> beforehand, nor setting up multiple handlers for each location.  It's a
> fairly large site and my main concern was to do with how I should store
> the correspondence from uri to object.

There probably isn't that much to lose and on a busy server probably
something to gain by pre-loading classes.

If they're loaded on start-up, mod_perl can use shared memory to share
them across all the child processes but if not, each child process needs
to load them into it's own memory space. This may use up quite a lot of
memory, not to mention the overhead of loading and compiling them on each
request.

YMMV :-)

Simon.

--
"I like my coffee like I like my women. In a plastic cup."