With pleasure London.pm announces:

                    ALL LIGHTENING TALKS ALL THE TIME

This is the official announcement of the long awaited November Tech Meet,
taking place at 7pm on Thursday, 21st Novemeber 2002, being held at
Profero's UK offices.

Q: Er, when?

A: You lot don't half get confused about dates do you?  That's not
tomorrow (that's the 7th, when the social is,) nor the next Thursday after
that (that's the 14th) but the Thursday after that (the 21st.)

Q: You mean it's going to be *all* lightening talks?

A: Yes! This month, rather than doing long twenty minute talks we're going
to bow to the MTV generation and have just lightening talks.  As you know,
a lightening talk is a quick talk that only lasts five or so minutes, so
we can fit a lot of them in.

Q: What's the point in that?

A: As an attendee this has several advantages:

 1) If you find the subject matter boring, or too technical, or not
    technical enough, you don't have to listen for too long till the next
    subject comes along.

 2) You get a wide varied range of subjects discussed, so you get to learn
    a little bit about a lot of things.

I've been saying this all along, but if you've never been to a tech meet
before, this would be an ideal introduction as you get to see a lot of
interesting stuff without having to think too hard ;-).

Q: Okay, but what will the talks actually be on?

A: We've got a range of subjects covered, from day to day operational
stuff (for example how to set up and install mod_perl on FreeBSD,)
though discussions of interesting and exciting modules (like Simon's talk
on his dynamic website) up to quick primers on hot subjects related to
Perl (for example, Information Architecture and Bioinformatics.)  Oh, and
a lot more....At last count we had 14 people due to give talks.

Q: Crikey, won't that take a long time?

No, not really, well, about two hours (estimating it taking about ten
minutes to present each five minute talk.)  Which means we should be in
the pub by half nine ;-), giving us plenty of time for casual questions
to be put to the speakers.

Q: Okay, I'm coming already.  Where's the venue?

A: The meeting will be held at the UK offices of Profero
(http://www.profero.com) located half way between Angel and Highbury and
Islington tube stations.  An address and streetmap URL:

 Ground Floor,
 134 Liverpool Road
 London
 N1 1LA

 http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=531422&Y=183954&A=Y&Z=1

The entrance to the office is set back off the east side Liverpool road,
and to get to it you need to go down a passageway between a corner shop
and a laundrette, roughly opposite the bar "Stone", which can be easily
spotted due to the large lizard climbing up the corner of the building.

There should be someone at the door to meet you.  If there isn't, hit the
buzzer marked "Profero" and ask for me.  We're on the ground floor, so we
shouldn't be hard to find.  For security reasons we'll be getting people
to sign in, but you'll find it's generally quite a relaxed place.

Q: And what time should I show up again?

A: Talks will start at 7pm, and so we don't annoy the Profero staff
members you should show up no earlier than 6.30pm.  Did I mention that
there's a bar called "Stone" opposite?  There's also a proper pub called
"Houricans" next to that that serves drinks other than Stella and
Hoegaarden.

Q: Anything else I need to know?

A: Not really, I guess I should reiterate this meeting's zero heckling
policy that I promised the speakers though.  The talks should only take
five minutes, so you can ask questions at the end, and if there's not time
for that then I'm scheduling a lot of time for talking in the pub
afterwards.

Hope to see you there, if not at the social meet before.

Mark.

--
s''  Mark Fowler                                     London.pm   Bath.pm
     http://www.twoshortplanks.com/              [EMAIL PROTECTED]