At 09:58 +0100 11/14/02, Paul Johnson wrote:
Dave Cross said:
 I just saw a post in uk.comp.os.linux that used this syntax:

 use strict qw($var);

 to declare a variable. I was about to point out that the syntax was
 wrong but, on testing, I find that it works (it creates a package
 variable).
Does it?  Seems just to be an expensive noop.

Did you have warnings turned on?

As I recall, strict doesn't complain if you pass it something it doesn't
recognise.  This is so that new strictures can be more easily added.
I filed a bug report about this a while back to p5p + patches to strict. To actually complain when strict is handed something it doesn't understand. I'm not sure whether those patches actually went in or not, seem to remember they did but am not sure.

Liz