On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 11:00:28AM +0000, Jonathan Peterson wrote:

> The real magic would be a case insensitive filesystem for *nix. Has
> anyone written a kernel mod for Linux that gives you a case preserving
> case insensitive filesystem? I'd love one of those. Does anyone know of
> any *nixes that had the option for a case insensitive fs??

Such a thing exists, and it's quite nippy -- vfat :P.

You can't make a filesystem seem (properly) case insensitive without
letting all of userspace know it treats case with disregard -- take for
example bash, which has case-sensitive command completion (by default).

There are other problems in userspace too, for eg. imagine a program
that decides whether a file exists based on a copy of a directory it
holds in memory..

   struct dirent *this_cached_dir = fetch_all_dirents(that_fd);
   while (char *filename = get_request())
      if (case_sensitive_search(this_cached_dir, filename) == 0)
         request_failed();
      else
         serve_request();

Or something. UNIX is case sensitive, get used to it :D

David.