On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 11:34:02AM +0000, Joel Bernstein wrote:
> Um, perhaps I'm missing something, but by definition a hostname is a name
> which translates directly (via A, AAAA or A6) records to an IP address, or
> indirectly (via a CNAME to another hostname which then resolves to an
> IP). How could a hostname /not/ have an IP address?

It could be a host name in some other networking system, such as DECNET or
Appletalk.

Or it could be a purely local hostname - this machine what I'm typing on
right now is ibook.local, which doesn't resolve to 10.0.2.2 (the machine's
IP address) which in turn doesn't resolve to anything.

--
David Cantrell | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

  While researching this email, I was forced to carry out some investigative
  work which unfortunately involved a bucket of puppies and a belt sander
    -- after JoeB, in the Monastery