Simon Wistow sent the following bits through the ether:

> And I was thinking about CPAN. Or CPAN v2. Or NextPAN or whatever.

Do you mean doing new things to code on the current CPAN? Or making
your own CPAN with new features? Or having new metadata about the
current CPAN?

> Automatic reporting of test failures, possible refusal of a module from
> CPAN if it doesn't have a certain amount of Test coverage. Maybe
> integrated CPANSTATs so that we can see if things like LWP::Simple

But if you enforce more controls on CPAN, surely people are less
likely to upload code?

> Stricter control of namespaces:

At the moment CPAN is a seperate entity than the modules list. You
could argue that everyone ignores the modules list thesedays thanks to
search.cpan.org and CPANPLUS.

> Ability to have mutliple versions:

To do this properly would need perl to be changed.

> Better support for installing applications:

Does PAR help?
http://search.cpan.org/author/AUTRIJUS/PAR/

> Better integration with various packaging systems:

CPANPLUS 0.50 is attempting to do this.

> Multiple Authors:
> Searching for function :
> Trust Matrices :

Of course, the real question is what is the problem you're trying to
solve?

Leon

ps cpanstats will be rolled into cpanplus in order to get wider
   distribution and usage
--
Leon Brocard.............................http://www.astray.com/
scribot.................................http://www.scribot.com/

... Calvin, we will not have an anatomically correct snowman!