On 21 Feb 2003 at 11:15, Tony Kennick wrote:

>       If I have a quick and dirty one liner using -n or -p to run
>       through a list of files generated by a shell expansion or find
>       command, is there a special variable that will tell me the file
>       my while loop is currently eating through or a method if I
>       invoke FileHandle. It seams that by the time I get to that point
>       it has already been shifted off @ARGV.

The file name? It's in $ARGV:

    $ARGV   contains the name of the current file when reading from <>.

I often use this in a variation on grep:

perl -ne 'print "$ARGV:$.:$_" if /something/ or /other/' *.c

which is a bit like grep -n but I can use Perl (specifically useful
also for grepping through things such as tarballs by specifying a max
line length and converting non-printable characters to question marks
or something).

Cheers,
Philip
--