This is the weekly summary for the London.pm list for the week starting
the 17th February 2003.  There were only 79 messages this week.

The first new thread of the week was started by Neil Fryer who was looking
for advice on a good free (as in beer) MS Windows Perl IDE.  No-one could
suggest anything free but emacs, though numerous shareware and payware
suggestions were made:

  http://london.pm.org/lpm/20030217/017015.html

Changing nameserver whois record can be confusing, and many people helped
Paul Makepeace deconfudle (or more fuddle) the issue:

  http://london.pm.org/lpm/20030217/017031.html

Luis Campos de Carvalho found that the Sys::Syslog module was being silent
and not writing everything, and the problem was rapidly solved:

  http://london.pm.org/lpm/20030217/017037.html

Chisel Wright wanted some advice on building a dynamic regular expression
with an eval.  He'd benchmarked it and found that it was causing
performance issues.  There was suggestion of code reordering, using 'ee'
on the regex, and then it was pointed out that this had been discussed a
lot both during the Perl Quiz of the Week and on Perlmonks.

  http://london.pm.org/lpm/20030217/017045.html # start of thread
  http://perl.plover.com/qotw/e/solution/001    # quiz solution
  http://perlmonks.com/index.pl?node_id=234769  # perlmonks

I posted the call for participation for the technical meeting.  I've got a
good crop of medium length talks so far, but I could really do with some
more lightning talks:

  http://london.pm.org/lpm/20030217/017054.html

Tony Kennick was shown that the current file being read via <> is stored
in $ARGV:

  http://london.pm.org/lpm/20030217/017069.html

Andy Williams was having issues with German and XML - umlauts and all.
There was much discussion about what umlauts are and when to use them but
little progress was made on solving the actual problem:

  http://london.pm.org/lpm/20030217/017056.html

On Friday afternoon Dave Cross posted another film Quiz:

  http://london.pm.org/lpm/20030217/017072.html

Before the England v Wales match on Saturday Simon Wistow got a blast of
JFDI and decided to do some work on some of his older code.  This started
two threads, one on repeating dates and interfaces, and one on
File::Binary.

  http://london.pm.org/lpm/20030217/017081.html  # dates
  http://london.pm.org/lpm/20030217/017089.html  # File::Binary

And finally in other news, reselling domains, Class::DBI::Join issues,
silly 404s, a job! Expect.pm and GPRS RTT...

  http://london.pm.org/lpm/20030217/017086.html  # reselling
  http://london.pm.org/lpm/20030217/017018.html  # 404
  http://london.pm.org/lpm/20030217/017022.html  # Class::DBI::Join
  http://london.pm.org/lpm/20030217/017071.html  # GPRS RTT
  http://london.pm.org/lpm/20030217/017020.html  # Expect
  http://london.pm.org/lpm/20030217/017019.html  # job!

Any mistakes in this email are entirely due to the problems of typing on
the interal Zaurus keyboard.  Till next week.

Mark

--
#!/usr/bin/perl -T
use strict;