On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Leon Brocard wrote:

> I wonder if more people are interested in this kind of thing. Is
> anyone interested in a weekly learning Perl evening? Perhaps something
> like reading through Learning Perl a chapter a week with assignments,
> a mailing list, and a real life meet every week.

The problem I foresee with this is picking a night of the week that is the
impracticality of the cat herding.  Simply picking a night of the week
where everyone who wants to be involved is free and doesn't have
faimly/work/social commitments is always a problem.

I said I was going to be organising a mentoring system for London.pm at
some point in the next year.  Since it's come up, this seems like a good a
time as any to bring it up again.

I'm very wary of potentially over-organising such a thing - I don't want
to see another mailing list start and then die.  Let's keep it simple for
now;  I propose that anyone who would like a little Perl mentoring email
me off list[1], and I'll try and match them up with a 'tutor' - one of the
people that I've discussed this kind of thing with.

For now, it's important that the trainee be allowed to go at his or her
own pace and not feel like they're signing themselves up for something
overwhelming.  Once we've got this process started I think there might be
a place for weekly meets such as Leon suggested.

Hoping to hear from you.

Wax on, wax off.

Mark.

[1] Please include name, location (approximate area of London if you live here)
and some kind of idea of how much Perl and other types of
programming you've done.

--
#!/usr/bin/perl -T
use strict;