On Tuesday, March 11, 2003, at 11:34 am, Dirk Koopman wrote:

I realise that I am an old and useless programmer, a dinosaur even, but
is all this going to add up to a language that is:-

a) easier to learn

Not any harder anyway. There's more to learn obviously because there is more functionality.

b) faster both to parse and execute

Yup. Lots more room for optimisation with declaration of args and the more complex typing.

c) still something that could reasonably be called perl?

I think so from what I've seen. Your milage may vary.

You also forgot:

d) more useful

Which, for me, is a resounding "Hell yeah!". I want macros, multimethods and methodsubs *now* :-)

Adrian