Aaron Trevena wrote:
University Chancellors and even heads of computing schools in universities
are often very far removed from the industry and follow a mix of 30 year
old technology that huge dinosaur corporations expect everybody to know
but are obselete (like x.500, kermit, etc) or
obselete-before-it-hits-the-shelves vapourware from microsoft.

Ummm, kermit is still actively maintained. It's certainly not obsolete

<http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/>

I mean in college I used UNIX and SQL, but in the first year at university
we used rubbish like Access (later we obviously used Oracle and decent
databases).

Oracle? Decent Database? That's a whole other thread. ;-)

-Dom