-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Mark Fowler
Sent: 18 March 2003 12:00
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Starting Again

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, Brian Smart wrote:

> could not be deleted because the directory held files that I could not
view.

You can delete all directories and files within a directory by logging
into your apache box with ssh/telnet, or the command line ftp utility[1].

  bash$ pwd                           # print out where you are to make
  /where/your/files/are               # sure you're in the right dir

  bash$ rm -rf direcory_name          # delete directories children

Be *VERY* careful with this command.  It won't ask you for confirmation
(that's what the -f option means) and it will delete all your files very
quickly.  There's no undo and no undelete.  I've killed laptops with this
command in the past (sorry Leon) though not giving it enough respect.

rm will delete hidden files when it works recursively as in the above
example.  "rm *" (which is what you've probably been using) will however
_not_.  You can list "hidden" files (those starting with a ".") by typing

 bash$ ls -a               # list _all_ files, inc. hidden in current dir
 bash$ ls -a foo           # same for the directory foo

Mark.

[1] Start->Run "cmd", hit OK, then type "ftp www.servername.com"
--
#!/usr/bin/perl -T