From: Peter Sergeant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 5/27/03 10:02:36 AM

> Standardize, serialize -- the Americans have it right in
> this case. The s/ize/ise/ is a fairly recent anglicism -
> as recent as 50 years ago in fact. For some further
> information on this, check out your friendly neighbourhood
> Oxford Fowler's Modern English Usage Dictionary.

It's true that the z->s tranformation is recent and that the
'z' spellings were in use here when the pilgrims left, but I'm
not sure that fact makes them any more correct than the generally
accepted 's' spellings. Since when waa antiquity a measure of
correctness in spelling or grammer?

Or would you prefer that we all used the language of the Canterbury
Tales? Or Piers Plowman? Or Beowulf?

Dave...

p.s. There's a great letter in this week's Radio Times. Someone
is complaining about a recent TV version of some Shakespeare
play. Their complaint is that it was performed in modern dress
but the language hadn't been updated so they couldn't understand
it!
--
<http://www.dave.org.uk>

"Let me see you make decisions, without your television"
   - Depeche Mode (Stripped)