On Thursday, June 26, 2003, at 03:01 pm, Dave Cross wrote:

From: Andy Mendelsohn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Date: 6/26/03 1:26:15 PM

On Thursday, June 26, 2003, at 02:04 pm, Dave Cross wrote:

A quid is made up of 20 shillings, each of which contains

12 pennies.

Sorry to correct you Dave, but i think you'll find a quid is made of of 20 bob.

"Bob" and "shilling" are (as Andy knows well) two names for the same thing.

I have, however, just remembered that I missed out a couple of
important amounts:

A crown = 5 shillings (5 bob) = 60 pence
Half a crown = 2 and a half shillings = 30 pence

a wee correction (not that anyone -really- cares, however it could confuse those who are trying to understand the obscurities of pre-decimalisation)

A shilling (1 bob) ==  5p.
5 shillings (5 bob)  == 25p

A Crown (5 bob) == 25p
Half a Crown (2/6-) == 12.5p

And if I recall correctly, a packet of Golden Wonder Salt and Vinegar crisps was 6d at the beginning of 1971 and my pocket money was 2 shillings.

andy.

Yeah, Dave was talking old money and I was talking new - just 5p to me is 'new' as opposed to 5d.
Oh my, we could get into a right old two and six!

andy