On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Martin Bower wrote:

> I'm going to build a Linux firewall & web server at home (not necessarily
> the same box) and wondered if anyone can advise of the best route to go.
>
> I've seen smoothwall,  but would I be better hardening a linux install ?  if
> so, which flavour ?
> I'll be installing Apache, mod_perl, + db on the same box, so maybe this
> will influence your recommendation ?

As far as I know none of the pre-cooked firewall distros are suitable if
you want to install a fully functioning webserver on the box - certainly
Smoothwall/IPCop are not.

What the best approach will be depends, as ever, upon what you really want
to do with it, what you want to protect and the level of protection you
want.

I suspect you'll need to roll your own.

Jason Clifford
--
UKFSN.ORG               Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/                   ADSL Available Now