> I just tried to connect with "irc.perl.org" listed as the server.  No luck.
> What am I doing wrong?  (In the meantime, I'm back to being a grouch.)

What are you doing wrong? Depends largely on the value of 'No luck'...

bash-2.05a$ host -t ANY irc.perl.org
irc.perl.org has address 216.232.28.210
irc.perl.org has address 193.201.200.130
irc.perl.org has address 195.82.114.48

(which, for the interested, are binky, grouch, and london, in that
order) - I can connect to all of those by telnet on port 6667, the
standard IRC port.

But if just connecting to grou.ch works for you, go with it.

+Pete

--
Much may be made of a Scotchman, if he be caught young.
 -- Samuel Johnson