Is anyone aware of tools that will show what processes, and what in
those processes are using the swap -- e.g. the data paged out? I found
nothing on freshmeat or google. There seem, funnily enough, to be plenty
of such tools for Windows.

I'm curious since I have about 180MB of swap used and it's been
gradually creeping up over the months (versus apache which I have to
regularly restart).

**

Trying to create another swap file, cfdisk can't re-read the partition
table, neither will blockdev --rereadpt (there's only been an addition
into the Extended partition). Is there some way for it to force a
re-read to update /proc/partitions so I can mkswap? The machine's remote
& not easily rebootable or single-user-mode-able (the obvious answers).

# swapon /dev/sda10
swapon: /dev/sda10: No such device or address
# blockdev --rereadpt /dev/sda
BLKRRPART: Device or resource busy
#

Paul

PS dd if=/dev/swap | strings revealed an awful lot of perl module names.
   A cpan process running since January was using 35MB RSS+40MB swap...

--
Paul Makepeace ....................................... http://paulm.com/

"What is the cat doing on my lap? Listen to the wind."
   -- http://paulm.com/toys/surrealism/