I've got a colleague here in the orifice, and between us we know how to
use fork() but don't understand it as well as we'd like.

There's a parent process that does a nice chunky select from a database,
does other bits and pieces, and becomes a large process (around 70Mb).

Then it forks off little kiddie processes. These all seem to have the
same size/footprint as the parent. The parent allocates subsets of a big
data chunk to each child.

So the children undef some of the bloaty variables they inherited from
the parent. They still appear to be the same size!

Can anyone out there explain:

 1. what's happening
 2. how we make the kiddies smaller
 3. point me at information on the web. I've STFWd already, but couldn't
 find anything.

TIA

Chisel

--
e:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   | They asked how many employees we had,
w:   www.herlpacker.co.uk      | broken down by sex. Told them drugs