Richard> On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 06:20:39AM -0700, Dave Cross wrote:
>> MySQL is just a file-based storage system with a pseudo-SQL interface.
>> It doesn't support many of the things that you'd expect in a
>> real SQL implementation, for example:
>>
>> * Transactions
>> * Referential integrity

Richard> Innodb tables give you these in modern mysqls.

At a speed cost that makes it slower than Pg, and an earlier spot on
the design curve which Pg has already matured on.

>> * Subselects

Richard> Not yet, scheduled for 4.1 though.

Richard> Besides, people really don't expect those things.  It's just the
Richard> people who've used other RDBMSs before and enjoyed the bondage and
Richard> discipline that expect them.

People coming from flat files and DBM don't expect them.  Now that
I've seen subselects and triggers and views and stored procedures in
action, I don't think I can deploy anything with a dozen tables or
more without them.

MySQL - fine for people who want a light subset-SQL interface
to structured data

PostgreSQL - Oracle without the price