On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 10:05:02PM +0100, Barbie [home] wrote:
>On 02 September 2003 09:43 Roger Burton West wrote:
>> (All of this
>> only applies to the Windows world, obviously; I think the parallels in
>> Unix, or at least Linux, would be .tar.bz2, .tar.gz, and dodgy
>> commercial software with auto-extracting installers like the JRE.)
>Why obviously? RAR, ACE, ZIP, GZIP, BZIP formats are all available on both
>Windows and many Unix variants.

On Unix, RAR and ACE are only available as binaries, which puts off a
lot of people; and neither those nor ZIP preserves file ownership or
permission information. So while I'm able to extract most files under
Unix, I wouldn't choose those formats for something that I'm originating
and plan to share primarily with other Unix users.

Roger