Paul Johnson wrote:
> I think I wrote my first ever goto code in C yesterday.

Way back when I was a teen-geek, I played around writing a few games,
mostly in C, with the odd bit of assembler thrown in for bad taste.
One of these was a rip-off of the classic Tron light-cycle game.

I got myself in an almighty mess trying to write a structured control
loop that would handle 2 player input or 1 player and computer.  I had
to read keyboard scan codes to detect multiple keys being pressed
simultaneously.  This made it particularly gnarly, although I forget
the precise details.  Whichever way I carved it up it got ugly.  The
code resisted all attempts at being structured.

After hacking on this same chunk of code for days and getting no
further, I suddenly realised that a simple goto made the problem
collapse into thin air.

I was enlightened.  The use of goto is not always considered harmful.