Chris> Randal did a column on that that I've just pointed out to someone trying to
Chris> do something similar ...

Chris> http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/LinuxMag/col15.html

Chris> (Trying to answer before Randal wakes up :-)

Damn.  You made it, too.  I also did a similar thing with POE as well,
which might make more sense here...

<http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/LinuxMag/col41.html>

Note the "KIDSMAX => 10", which sets the upper limit on things
being done in parallel.