On 12 Dec 2008, at 17:05, Mark Blackman wrote:

On 12 Dec 2008, at 16:38, Andy Wardley wrote:

I've got a *very* strange problem with Perl segfaulting seemingly at
random, but quite predictably based on things that it really shouldn't
care about (like comments).
[snip]
Before I go digging deeper (having already lost most of the afternoon to
this), can someone confirm the problem for me?

On Mac OS X Leopard, rev. 5.6.6, I see the segfault using the system perl
(/usr/bin/perl) but not with macports perl (/opt/local/bin/perl).

er, just 10.5.5 that is.

/opt/local/bin/perl -V   [ this one doesn't segfault ]
  Compile-time options: PERL_MALLOC_WRAP USE_LARGE_FILES USE_PERLIO

/usr/bin/perl -V         [ this one does ]
  Compile-time options: MULTIPLICITY PERL_IMPLICIT_CONTEXT
                      PERL_MALLOC_WRAP USE_ITHREADS USE_LARGE_FILES
                      USE_PERLIO USE_REENTRANT_API

I appear to have been rash in blaming Apple configuration choices though.

- Mark