Dirk Koopman wrote:
lists wrote:
Joel Bernstein wrote:
<snipped>
My main objection to Skype (which I do use) is that it doesn't
interoperate with users of other VoIP systems. SIP and suchlike
provide an open standard which Skype ignore.

/joel

Seconded.

Another objection that one might have (and the Indian Government certainly have) is that all the traffic is routed through two sets of servers, one located in the US and one in the UK.

It means that we can eavesdrop on them, but they can't reciprocate.

I forgot to mention that, anecdotally, there are times when call quality degrades markedly whilst one's ISP seems to otherwise working fine. This may also be because bandwidth starvation at the two centres.