On 25 Sep 2009, at 10:09, Philip Newton wrote:

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 09:54, Dirk Koopman <d...@tobit.co.uk> wrote:
Dirk Koopman wrote:

Now, is there a reasonably reliable way of determining what we have, on a string by string basis, to at least tell whether we are dealing with utf8 or iso-8859 (not caring which variant) so that I can drive Encode appropriately to avoid crashes of the above type. Or how do I completely switch off utf8
encoding/decoding - everywhere - in an 80,000 line perl app.

As no-one seems interested in this, or may be no-one else has had these problems themselves, can anyone suggest a better mailing list to poll?

I was going to suggest Encode::is_utf8 and/or utf8::is_utf8, but I
wasn't sure whether it would actually solve your problem so I thought
I'd rather stay quiet and hope someone with real-world experience in
utf8 woes would pipe up.

Cheers,
Philip
--