Merry Ex-Mass.

A sysadmin and pedant's point of view....

On 30/11/2009 18:24, Chris Jack wrote:
1) Without running it to check, what does the following program output?

Something like:

bash: syntax error near unexpected token '('

Don't assume my default interpreter is your default interpreter.

2) If you received a perl mongers award for contributions to the Perl
community, what colour/type of camel would the award be?

One that knew where to use an apostrophe.

3) What is Perl XS? What does XS stand for?

"Assuming infinite CPU power, infinite memory, infinite disk space and infinite bandwidth, writing a shopping cart..."

4) Based on your answer to the previous question, what do you conclude about
Perl programmers spelling ability?

There's not enough oleum in the world.

5) Write a short perl program that has a memory leak. Bonus mark for one line
solutions. Second bonus mark for the shortest program.

See "infinite memory" above.

6) What is the name of the official Soft Toy Camel of the London Perl Mongers?
Bonus mark if you own one.

richardc.

7) Write a one line program that takes a non-negative integer as an argument
and prints the square root when the answer's an integer.

No. Write a program that isn't crammed with FAIL, and isn't a pain in the arse to roll out and maintain. Go on, we sysadmins dare you.

8) According to amazon.co.uk, what is the best selling Perl book so far in 2009?

According to the ticket queue, I'd say "Perl for dummies in 7 days or less".

9) What is the youtube.com link for the perl v other languages videos
discussed on this list, and also the bubble sort video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jDfSqtG2E4

10) What is the highest value of X that is a currently available, stable
production release of perl 5.X?

5.10.0-19lenny2  duh.

11) Think of a witty and/or interesting Perl Christmas quiz question and
answer it.

...and here are 10 reasons why I can justify my salary....