On 15/01/2010 20:23, Roger Burton West wrote:
On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 08:16:09PM +0000, Andy Wardley wrote:

My understanding[*] is that it computes a checksum for each block of a file
and only transmits blocks that have different checksums.

And to calculate the checksum on each block of the file, it has to, um,
read each block of the file... yes?

Doesn't rsync *push* rather than *pull* in which case the files it computes the checksum on are all local.

I did not think it worked in the way you mention without rsync daemon running at the remote end doing the checksum for you.