Nigel Metheringham wrote:
[I'm in a different hotel - since the conference one took many days
to respond to a query about rooms - by which time I had booked elsewhere]

Yes, it seems like they have one guy arranging all their YAPC bookings, so you have to wait for his next shift to get a reply.

So it turns out that "go elsewhere" was the solution. They would have accepted a fax, but by the time I'd dithered and finally got back to them, one of the nights (6th) was no longer available.

So I booked online, no fuss, for less money, at one of the other hotels listed on the YAPC Site. End of saga. :-)

Gordon