I spent five minutes I didn't have reading that page and it seems the proposer wants to disambiguate Perl to follow the example of the German Wikipedia site.

Something I found interesting in their discussion:

"It is possible that Perl became less of the duct tape of the internet because of JavaScript."

Didn't know Perl ever competed with Javascript?

I am going to rename myself Perl and do something extraordinary to create a need for disambiguation...I might eat 10 potatoes while doing a head stand.

AJ