Very similar to my experience except I work as a contractor with a bunch of
other contractors across three or more continents to develop and support a
reasonably high profile high value product in it's domain.  I meet a subset of
the people I work with face to face once every couple of years (but was doing
that before this work started anyway), and I've never met the principal in
person.  We talk on the phone up to 4 times a year, but generally it all
happens through IRC, bug tracker, wiki and git repo.

For big companies where slacking or low value staff are a problem I don't think
telecommuting is a great option  (hence Marissa Miller's recent proclamations),
but could be solved with an organisational culture turnaround.  The very nice
thing about perl from my experience is it seems to attract people from a
greater diversity of social and educational backgrounds than other programming
communities (in my experience), but you've got to make the working conditions
good to take full advantage of that.