On 23/07/13 11:03, Abigail wrote:
On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 09:39:33PM +0100, Dirk Koopman wrote:

While I reckon prototyping is useful, you should be aware that when
dealing with people that have Pound note watermarks etched on their
glasses, prototypes have a habit of becoming (the rump of) "production"
code. This, IMO, is usually a recipe for failure and if not that, then
significant engineering cost later on. Which is not to say that your
partner is such a person.

I think that's short sighted, and IMO, you're making a classical mistake.

Doing extra work now in order to save costs later is a luxury problem.
Your first worry should go to actually being alive later on. When you're
starting up, your resources are limited, the work that needs to be done
ASAP is huge, and your income is nil.

I sometimes express myself too forcefully. I am trying to suggest that there is a balance to be struck. Further more, I believe that a successful developer does this (after a while :-) automatically. I have personally been in situations where I have had to come in to "productionise" prototypes that had become the product but demand overwhelmed that solution. If I had not been successful, then the business(es) would have failed.

A prototype is just that. It is a tool for thinking, it may become something that someone can sell, but that is just a useful asset.

Dirk