At 1:22 PM -0500 1/7/02, David L. R. Houston wrote:
>Still desperately seeking help on this after some 20+ hours of trying.

>laserq2:
>   :sd=/var/spool/lpd/%P
>   :mx#0
>   :sh
>   :rm=132.198.103.204
>   :rp=RAW
>   :longnumber
>   :send_block_format:

I do not use lprNG, but if I remember correctly the 'longnumber' option
gives you more jobs per print queue.  I suggest that you try turning
that off.  (or try a different version of lprNG, as someone else
suggested).

>Problem: Anything other than a UNIX client always leaves this in the
>lpq -Pall -V call:
>'dfA000001ip104026.uvm.edu' at 12:52:11.362

For instance, it is interesting that it's complaining about missing
'dfA' '00001' 'ip104026.uvm.edu'.  The '00001' part is the job number, and
most implementations of lpr will be sending three character job numbers.

>The clients I'm trying to use at the moment are a MacOSX box (printer
>setup is accomplished using the Print Center utility and setting a printer
>'LPR printer using IP') and/or a Macintosh running OS9.2.2 (printer setup
>using Desktop Printer Utility and also LPR printer using IP).

Well, for one, MacOS 10 *is* a "unix client".  Which version of MacOS 10
are you running?  There were subtle differences in lpr jobs between 10.0.x,
10.1, and 10.1.2 (although those differences are not relevant to your
problem).  MacOS 9 should also be sending "basically correct lpr" jobs.

I expect that when you said "anything other than a unix client", the
real distinction is "anything which is not running lprNG"...  (I am
not saying that just to be arguing with you, but to get you thinking
about what is really happening.  If all the unix hosts which work *are*
running lprNG, then that could be significant)

>I need to have these clients working and *then* I have to see if I can
>get Windows 98 clients working using Samba (not even at that point yet).

Since samba will be using whatever you have installed, I imagine you
will not see this trouble with samba.

>I'd be appreciative of _any_ advice.  At this point, I'm willing to try
>anything that might have a chance of getting this to work.  It's hard to
>believe that LPRng is only useful for UNIX clients, but that is what
>appears to be the case.

That is definitely not the case, except maybe when the occasional bug
creeps into the code...  lprNG does a pretty good job of trying to
work with a very wide variety of lpr-protocol implementations.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Senior Systems Programmer           or  [EMAIL PROTECTED]