On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 4:41 PM <tony...@tony.li> wrote:

> Hi Tony,
>

> > Read it through (fairly slowly even ;-) and seems Les is for simply
> always including LAN in the flood reduction topology. I would concur with
> that.
>

> Ok, I didn’t read that into it and I disagree.  There are many topologies
> where that approach is decidedly suboptimal.
>
> Suppose you have a leaf-spine topology, except that the spines are layer 2
> only.   You now have N leaves, with M LANs interconnecting them.  Do you
> flood in parallel on M LANs?  Wouldn’t it be more prudent just to flood on
> 2?
>

> > figuring whether a LAN is transit is basically calculation whether it's
> a minimal cut. solving that is polynomial of course. When we have multiple
> LANs to decide what is the maximum subset of LANs that can be cut without
> paritioning the graph (i.e. how many LANs can we omit while still having
> the graph connected) smells to me NP complet'ish but I don't think I ever
> dealt with the problem. At worst it's combination of LANs * polynomial
> computaton so about  sum_1_k (n over k) * polynomial  which looks tad chewy
> to me ... then, LAN floods efficiently in terms of fanout compared to p2p
> replication in IGPs so there's this unknown optimization constant that
> affects overall solution ...
>

> It’s pretty clear to me that the optimal selection of the FT is ‘chewy’ if
> not NP-hard.  However, the very good news is that we don’t need optimal.
> Only effective and reasonably efficient.
>
> Dave Allan's proposal is a clear existence proof of a far less ‘chewy’
> algorithm, albeit for a restricted set of topologies.  Other algorithms are
> likely to be not very ‘chewy’ on those topologies either, and only become
> ‘chewy’ as the topologies get more complex.  This seems entirely reasonable
> and appropriate.
>

> > Obvioulsy, someone could implement a very clever algorithm how to avoid
> LANs or account for their efficiency and so on so IMO the draft doesn't
> even need to say anything normative if  no algorithm is given as intended
> AFAIR
>

> This is exactly correct.  Since we are partitioning the algorithm
> development from signaling, we can set aside the question of how to
> optimally use LANs and focus on the question on the table: do we add enough
> signaling to specify LANs.

ok, agreed. maybe something to this effect could make it into the draft as
in "it's not simple to avoid LANs but nothing prevents you to do that" ...

I admit I may have over-interpreted Les's write-down which as far
(meaningfull) verbiage goes rivals some of the stuff I tend to produce ;-)

As to signalling, I think we have not much choice and need to signal the
PNODE as either being in or out topology which implies LAN is in or out it
.... I would also consider optimizations to "sub-flood" the LAN (i.e.
disaggregate it to p2p floodings or nodes dropping received LSPs) as
jumping the shark due to complexity but that's just my small change ...

--- tony